Saturday, July 7, 2012

Reasons Why I Drive Slower

Post written by Raymund Tamayo


I used to be some sort of a maniac on the streets. I get frustrated when vehicles in front of me are slow, which keeps me from driving fast. Driving was such a stressful experience.

Sometimes I still go through times of stressful driving, especially in the mornings when I will take my daughter to school and myself to work and we left the house a little late. But most of the time I drive calmly, and enjoy the company of my wife and daughter, or my friends.

I notice other drivers and wonder whether they really need to go to where they are going so fast, or is it just a lack of planning and preparation (much like the times when we leave the house late). Some drivers zoomingly overtake my car, and they get nowhere but right in front of me. That’s funny! I wonder if driving fast is worthy of burning all that fuel, getting so stressed and angry, and risking many lives.

The best reason why I drive slower is that it took away so much stress and made me a much happier person. It’s such a simple step to take, but made an incredibly big difference in my life.

Secondary to that, my other reasons are to: Save gas, save lives, and simplify my life. In addition to lowering stress levels, driving slower can reduce many other problems as well – the headache of accidents, and going to the gas station too often.

Driving slower comes with a price, though. I should always leave early because it’s only necessary to speed up when you’re running late. Now, I encourage my wife and daughter that we always leave early so we don’t have to worry about being late, and we can enjoy the ride.

I also use my driving time to talk with my wife. Oftentimes, we don’t notice that we’ve already arrived at our destination. We talk about our life, and where do we want to go. We talk about God and His creation and the magic of the universe. Those were wonderful times.

Being stuck in traffic is not something to be stressed up with also. When I’m with my wife and daughter, being stuck in traffic is the best. When I’m alone, I listen to relaxing music, or I pray.

Why must we rush through life? Let’s slow down and enjoy life more. If we’re always in a hurry, will we be happy when we finally get to our destination? Focus on the journey, not the destination. And let’s make it a pleasant one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...