Saturday, July 21, 2012

Our Love for Maki

Post written by Raymund Tamayo


Writer’s Note: This was a re-post from my former blog, “Up on the Roof” at bluerain03.multiply.com. Thought I’d share it this weekend for your reading pleasure. Take care, everyone!

The more we get to know ourselves the harder it is to justify our quirks and habits. Fortunately the older we grow the more at ease we become with who and what we are.

Black Saturday Moonlight Ride

Last Black Saturday night was a great time. Denielle, Ryah, and I went for a moonlight ride and we found ourselves ending up at Teriyaki Boy in the Subic Bay Freeport at about 8:00 pm. We were all starving and thought this was what our taste buds were craving. A couple of minutes of chatting with the waitress then she gave us a comfortable sofa seat.

My wife ordered for us and said, “the usual,” which means we’ve been there quite a number of times. The waitress went to the kitchen and after a few minutes came back with two servings of what people around here call “California Maki.”

I’d fallen in love with it the second I tasted it which, as far as I can ascertain, was unusual because of my allergy to crustaceans. It’s kind of like sushi, only with boiled shrimp, a slice of ripe golden mangos, and seaweed flakes as fillings. What makes it irresistible is the joining of flavors of the wasabi dip and the caviar-coated rice crust that pops in your mouth as you chew this magical meal. I especially liked the feeling of having caviar bits stuck between my teeth, and enjoy licking them away with my tongue. 6 pieces cost P125.00, and I would gladly spend it any time of the day. Haha… okay, not really, but close to that.

The Most Intimate Relationships Began While Dinner

With all these “Maki-nations” on how I like Maki, I know, with my heart, that I wouldn’t enjoy dining there without my wife and daughter, even after all the luscious descriptions I stated above. It’s either with them, or not at all. A friend once said “the most intimate relationships began while dinner”, which I totally agree on.

Denielle and I have developed, intensified, fortified our relationship through the years by eating together, whether at home or dining out. The most delicious meals I’ve had in my lifetime were always with her. Consequently, the most personal conversations were done while dining. As lovers we eat together and cope together and learn to reason with and respect each other more than we sleep with and make love to one another.

Love is such a gift. No one can write a proper thank you note for receiving it or praise it enough to say what it really is, the meeting of alike minds and hearts; the willingness to commit, the ability to leave self to take care of itself while you concentrate on making it easier for another. Simple gestures while dining make up for a whole lot in the long run, believe me.


So that’s what love and dining is to Raymund Tamayo?

Multiply that by infinity, take that to the depths of forever, and you still will barely have a glimpse of what I’m talking about. These are my words now, Bill.

Hope you all had a calm and peaceful “holy” weekend. Don’t forget to log in and out every now and then and unless too many coughed up work and work and work, which all of us seemed much indulged in now, or some Costochondritis or two gets in the way, I’ll see you on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...