Saturday, July 7, 2012

Learning Contentment

Post written by Raymund Tamayo


Contentment is basic in simplifying. Most of the people I know are always looking for something better. A better house, better car, better clothes, better job, a better cellular phone… the list is endless. It’s as if all these things are requirements to become a better person.

I totally understand and don’t hold it against them, because I’ve been like that for the first 30 years of my life. It wasn’t until I learned contentment that I actually improved my life.

How?

  • By recognizing that spending time with my wife, my daughter, my beautiful friends, and all those who are dear to me were all the entertainment that I needed. I don’t need to shop, go to the mall, spend hours playing video or computer games and watching TV just to have pleasure and let time pass by.
  • By teaching my body to acknowledge when it is already full, stopped overeating, and eating out all of the time (although I still do this, and I love doing this when I’m with the people I love). Because of that I lost weight, felt fitter, and was able to bring back my blood sugar to normal levels.
  • By starting to run again and appreciate the world around me, I practice ways to have a more sustainable lifestyle, paring down my wardrobe and possessions, saving money and contributing less to global warming all at the same time.
  • And most of all, by stopping the endless cycle of wanting more, buying more, acquiring more, owning more, realizing and being thankful that I already have everything: people to love, clothes to wear, food to eat, water to drink, a planet to live in, words and ideas to share, resources to contribute, and a Creator who loves me and takes care of me.

It doesn’t happen overnight, to realize these things, I tell you. And sometimes our greatest enemy is ourselves, our own mindset.

Look around you right now. Count your blessings and be thankful. Realize the essential things to make you happy: do you really need to have that latest gadget or “ePhone,” or better health for you and your loved ones?

Want something meaningful to do? You don’t need lots of money or to change jobs or establish a foundation. Just help others in any way you can. Be an inspiration rather than another burden for someone else to carry. Help others succeed. Be there for your friends when they need you. Really spend time with loved ones and be encouraging, not just be there physically, but really be in the moment, body, mind, heart & soul.

You don’t need consumerism to fill that void in your life – in fact, I’d reason that life is better without it. Contentment is the heart of simplifying. And a simplified and focused life is a life well-lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...